Monday, August 23, 2010

Design . . . FAIL!


Two years ago, the narrow planting strip between my patio and koi pond was a colorful mass of annual 'Wave' petunias.  In fact, it was just a bit too colorful! I felt it detracted from the more subtle, pastel colors of the waterlily flowers. I was ready to plant something perennial; something with winter color and structure, as well.  I thought I'd found the perfect plant with this low growing, gray-blue succulent, Sedum D. var Glanduliferum. NOT!



After almost two growing seasons, I'm ready to relocate these plants (to the compost pile!) and try something new. This is a hot spot, with poor soil that must be hand watered by a sometimes inattentive gardener (that would be me).  Turkish veronica, Veronica liwanensis, to the rescue!



This xeric, evergreen groundcover, native to the Pontiac Mountains in northeastern Turkey, will be covered with cobalt blue flowers in April and May.  The fine texture of the foliage will offer a nice contrast to that of the pond's waterlilies.

As any true gardener, I am ever hopeful.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Turkish Veronica is one of my favorite ground covers! Great choice!

Jocelyn H. Chilvers said...

Thanks, Michelle, it's one of my favorites, too. I often recommend it to my design clients, and also have it growing in another area of my garden. Sometimes it's best to use the tried and true!